hmmm..  clove of garlic.   maybe that's the secret.

Crock pot is my preferred way to cook beans.    Many of the experiments
I've done in cooking from raw have been beans plus stuff in a crockpot.
Where stuff has been things like chilis.  I also make perfectly serviceable
chili con Carne from scratch (won a chili cook-off one year in fact ), also
in the crockpot.  Just haven't figured out this style of beans yet, but it
hasn't been without trying.

I grew up in a family where garlic wasn't a typical ingredient and I've
never really been a fan of strong garlic flavors, so it's an ingredient I
overlook too often unless I'm following a recipe or know for a fact that it
belongs.   I can't say that I've ever thrown a clove of garlic in while
attempting the beans so this is something to try.