Yes, I actually found an old phone and was in the process of hacking up a
converter cable when my sons talked me out of connecting it.

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 10:45 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT odd data connection

Apparently modbus is a data protocol, not a physical layer standard, but yes it
could go over RS485.  I don’t see how a simple cable could convert from USB to
RS485.  I sure hope for $200 you are getting a dongle, not an expensive cable.

The connector you are referring to, is that a 4 pin modular plug, like used on
the handset cord for a phone?