typically how you talk to solar charge controllers...

On 8/19/20 5:40 PM, Mark Radabaugh wrote:
Cool - it’s still around: https://modbus.org/docs/PI_MBUS_300.pdf

ASCII is easy to build, RTU a little tougher due to the timing requirements.

This brings back some memories…  probably happily forgotten.

The protocol was originally designed for talking to Modicon Programmable Logic Controllers.    The documentation has lots of references to specific controllers like 384, 484, 984, etc.

Read Coil, Read Input, Force Coil, etc. all refer to reading or setting an individual real world input/output or storage bit on or off.

Registers are words (integers normally, but can be anything).

You need detailed descriptions of the mapping of addresses on the devices you want to control to be able to understand what you are controlling.

Mark