RS-485 is current loop rather than voltage.   Easily converted to RS-232 and
back.

Modbus is a communication protocol using formatted text strings.  It’s pretty
simple to read and write programatically.    I have written a few BASIC
programs to do so (I date myself).  Any programming language that can process
text strings can speak Modbus with a little work.

Modbus+ is a higher speed synchronously timed protocol that is considerably
more involved to work with.

Mark