Is it common?  No

Why isn’t it common?  I have no idea.

Yes I as the owner took the risk. But X Y and Z employees have been here with
me for the past 30 years and kept things running.

Shouldn’t I be grateful for what they helped me build?

Like I said - I’m not judging anyone who makes a decision one way or the other.
But to me it doesn’t seem right to say “thanks for 20 years of dedicated
service and helping us make millions, go find another job now”.