I have mixed emotions about 1 km launch cables. Most splicers these days have a dead zone that is in the range of 1 meter. I have a 3 meter launch cable and it makes it really easy to dilineate C.O. connector and splice loss vs anything else. If I had a 1 km cable then a C.O. connector or splice may be at 1.010 meters.
Also, I set everything up for feet not meters.  Go 'merica!

-----Original Message----- From: Seth Mattinen
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 10:20 AM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] My solution

On 9/10/20 08:42, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

As far as testing - plug in the OLT and see what the reported signal levels are. Compare them with the acceptable levels and the number on the other customers on that ONT port. If signals out of line first clean the connectors, then break out the optical power meter and check at the NID to see it the issue is inside or outside. If it’s outside check and clean the connector at the pole/handhole if there is one. If you still can’t find it you can break out the OTDR, though keep in mind the OTDR probably isn’t going to tell you much about the pigtail. It’s very difficult to see much of interest on an OTDR near the launch point, and it’s hard to see anything when the pigtail splice is 3’ from the pigtail end. Probably easier to just replace the pigtail if you think the splice might be screwed up.

Add a 1km launch spool.