Too much easy money out there for students.

It’s not a simple problem - how do you make higher education available for
those who don’t have the means to pay for it without inadvertently raising the
costs for everyone?

Visit any decent 4 year college.   They are far closer to a country club than
to colleges from the 1980’s and before.   Fantastic facilities -  every type of
recreational activity or amenity you could possibly want.   The amount spent on
buildings and facilities is astonishing.    Yet they don’t actually spend all
that much money on faculty.  Being a college professor, even with tenure, isn’t
all that lucrative.

The schools are competitive with each other in attracting students - and with
cheap money available there is little or no incentive for students to shop on
price.   The schools are faced with the same competitive pressures as everyone
else - except to keep rates down.   The end result is predictable.

Combine an easy (even predatory) money policy with a large middle class
population with easy access to credit and you get exactly what we have.

Giving away even more money by having taxpayers bail out the loan debt isn’t a
good answer and only increases the problems.

And we haven’t even started on the problems created by students graduating with
useless degrees with insane levels of debt and then figuring out they can’t
afford to keep living at the country club.     What  do you mean my studio
apartment doesn’t come fully furnished with a pool, masseuse, and a barista?
How the hell is anyone supposed to live like this?

Mark