I've worked in places that are dozens or hundreds of miles from the nearest
cell tower, and not worth installing sat internet for a few days. Without
internet, having access to all email for lookup on a PC is very useful.
Starlink may change that limitation.

If a Gmail account gets cracked, it's very possible for all mail to get
intentionally deleted or for the account to be locked. Since Gmail is a
free service, there is no guarantee of recovery from that, either of
messages or access - you may simply lose everything. I use Thunderbird to
do a full download of my gmail account every few months to reduce that risk.