On 11/28/20 10:34 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
Tankless is looking almost comparable in price for gas, so I'm curious if any of you guys run them without major water softener and filters.

You'll need to de-scale a tankless with hard water or the heat exchanger will become clogged. You'd put in isolation valves to allow running descaling solution through it, and make sure to do that on a regular schedule. If it clogs completely you're boned.

Are residential boilers a thing? All my walls had pocket doors so I have plenty
of room for radiant walls, I dont know if boiler heat it even efficient though.

Sure, I have one. 199k BTU condensing boiler with a 110 gallon domestic hot water (DHW) storage tank. DHW tanks are stainless steel, so they don't have the longevity problem that faces normal steel tank water heaters. Giant tank means hot water lasts a long time. But boilers are expensive. My system was put in by a previous owner, so I didn't have to pay. Boilers are really popular in all the houses around Lake Tahoe where it's really cold in the winter. You get a steady, constant heat rather than bursts of heat with forced air.