Steve, no feces involvement here but I've been looking into water heaters
quite a bit for a project.

For the hard water, instead or in addition to the water softener you may
want to look into putting one of these into your hot water path.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000NKETXQ/  I wouldn't put it in the general cold
water path - while polyphosphates are safe for consumption from what I can
see, and I'd trust 3M to vet them well, I try to not add much to drinking
water, and cold water is usually mostly what is used for drinking. Maybe
check your plumbing if it's possible to add that device to the cold water
path for everywhere except the kitchen sink, where drinking water is
usually taken. The $80 USD price is almost "too good to be true" compared
to a water softener but the reviews suggest that it works well without
downsides. The cartridges are $50 each and supposedly last 6 months.

If the chimney leaks it could be a simple fix to the rain cap or flashing,
did you inspect it? WISP experience is at least useful for judging if it's
sealed well to the roof or if the structure of the rain cap is good in
strong wind.

I would recommend doing lots of math before assuming a solar system can run
an electric water heater for a busy family - it takes a ton of electricity
to create heat, which is why tank electric heaters take 2x-3x as much time
to recover from a cold tank as gas heaters. I don't think you'd want family
members to wait 1-2 hours for a hot shower after someone else used all the
water. As a reference, the bigger tankless heaters use a reasonable amount
of gas (~150-200K BTU) but they take an inordinate, almost frightening,
amount of electricity, ~36kW.

Tankless math starts with available GPM (from temperature rise chart). IIRC
you're in Illinois, where groundwater temp averages 47 deg F (8 deg C in
the developed countries). Assuming that you want 120 deg water output from
the tankless heater, that's 73 deg F temp rise. That's on the higher end
for a tankless heater. If we look at the Eccotemp 45HI-NG natural gas
tankless water heater, their biggest model at ~140K BTU, the chart says
that at that temp rise it can do 2GPM, so one low-flow shower. If you want
to run a high-flow shower and a sink, or 2 showers at the same time, you'd
need to buy 2 units and the serial cable between them that allows them to
run intelligently in parallel (reducing the "not activating at low water
flow" problem by having just one of them, not both, operate in low flow
conditions).