Give it 10-20 years and this will flip flop.  You will need to use a route
planner for a legacy ICE vehicle but DC fast charging will be everywhere.
People will be complaining that the technology for 5 minute charghin is out
there but the greedy station owners won't install it because they want you
to come inside for 15 minutes to spend money.

*"There are people making those trips, but they plan everything around
charger locations.  It's not impossible it's just not as convenient as
being able to jump in the car and go wherever you want knowing that every
hamlet with more than 10 houses has a gas station."*