From: Chuck McCown via AF
Sent: Saturday, November 5, 2022 1:46 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Cc: ch...@go-mtc.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] -48v to 12v 1A

There really is no mystery.  First, 48V is just 48V, like 12V or 5V.  The fact
that a minus sign is appended to the front tells the reader that it is a system
where the chassis is tied to the positive terminal.  If it said +48 it would
say that the chassis is connected to the negative power input/out.  If it just
says 48V then you can guess that it is a floating input or output, chassis is
not tied to either conductor.  However that is dangerous to assume with 48
because the reason it is 48 is probably because it is related to telecom
equipment and all of the old ilec carrier stuff was –48 with the positive
terminals all tied to chassis/frame/earth ground.

The first thing to check is whether it is truly –48 or just simple floating 48.
 Measure the voltage from the negative side to chassis.  If you see 48 volts
there then you truly have a –48 and the positive wires are connected to the
chassis.

DC-DC converters can be isolated or they can be non isolated.  For example, you
can get a buck converter, that just takes 48 volts, chops it into a very high
frequency square wave, feeds it into a capacitor and inductor and the circuit
controls the chopping frequency and the duty cycle of the square wave so that
the capacitor sits at a lower DC output voltage.   Like 12 volts.   Very simple
and cheap way to lower the voltage.  However, many of those devices will chop
the positive side and just pass the negative side straight through.  On a –48
system, they would still work, but you would have to make sure that the
negative side of the circuit board was isolated from any ground and on the
output you would have a circuit that is –12 volts and the negative side would
still be –48 V to ground.  If you load was totally isolated and floating this
would still work but this is a very ugly solution.  I have done this kind of
thing before, mounting stuff on plywood with large warning signs “WARNING,
CHASSIS IS HOT 48 vdc WITH RESPECT TO BUILDING GROUND”.

So a better solution is an isolated DC-DC converter.  It take the input, chops
it but runs it through either a transformer, or a set of capacitors to provide
a true galvanic isolation between the input and the output.  With these you can
connect any type of 48 volt circuit to the input and you can connect any type
of 12 volt to the output (or just the revers in the even you are boosting 12 to
48).

Just look for isolated converters.  100% safe.  The cheap buck converters can
be used but you gotta know what you are doing.