theres law and then theres what guys do. here its 18 inches either side of
the outside of the mark.

Reason why im anal about this is not liability, sure the guy who
didnt pothole is liable, but that irrelevant to the fact that the water is
hit. if my pipe is 40 inches and an accurate utility locator is used, i
want it reading at 40 inches, not 30 or 24 cause the trace was sloppy.
Everybody from start to finish should always do their jobs accurately, but
operate under the assumption that the guy before and the guy after did not
and will not