From: "Shayne Lebrun via Af" <af@afmug.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:09:37 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP Force 100 beefy

(gosh, I hope I'm allowed to say all this, but what the hell, they didn't
say 'and don't repeat nothing!' and it's not like other road-show goers
can't ask themselves)

Oh, I'm sure it'll be user-definable, on the 450, in terms of how to sync.

The thing is, with the ePMP, you have exactly three options; something like
75/25, 50/50, and 30/70. Those are all you get for sync options; the
downlink percent. They were very clear that 'max range' is NOT a timing
parameter.

So, making your 450s sync with your ePMP is going to have some tradeoffs,
and that's to be expected.

As to the 100/430s, it was pretty unambiguous that those would never sync
with the ePMP. Or have their MTUs increased. Or all sorts of other stuff.
The idea they seem to be moving to, and this is my conclusion rather than a
direct statement, is that the 100 series gets flat-out replaced with ePMP,
you put 450 where you have needs that the 450 meets (no guard bands, smaller
latency, etc etc) and that the 430 is a red-headed stepchild. Don't ask
what the 320 is in that analogy.

Also, there's a new licensed PTP radio to be announced in a month or so,
which, supposedly, a better pricing structure.