Ooooh, that's a lot of xmt power.

-----Original Message----- From: Matt Jenkins via Af
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 5:47 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] TVWS Alive or Dead? Was: Re: Dear Cambium

You don't need WiMAX/LTE voodoo for TVWS. Sure there are some advantages
but there are also disadvantages. What you do need is a tight enough
spectral mask and the TX power.

Runcom already had a WiMAX product that operated from 700mhz to 5ghz
built on an SDR designed to use 5mhz or 6mhz channels and supported
channel bonding. They were able to modify their existing product to work
within TVWS frequencies. Using 5mhz channels (or 10mhz for channel
bonding) they were able to meet the spectral mask requirements for TVWS.
Their product already had a call home feature for a central management
system. I wouldn't be surprised if they leveraged most of that design to
work with the database. They didn't have to bring an entirely new
product to market.

One of the other major consideration is TX power. Fixed stations can
transmit 30dbm and have a 6db antenna (36db EIRP). There isn't a lot of
antenna gain available without getting very large. So radios need to
have very high TX power built in. If Cambium were to build a 450 product
they would need to reevaluate their stance on TX power. I would want to
see a radio with at least 28db of TX power available.

900mhz, even in clean spectrum, still doesn't provide the coverage a lot
of this county needs to reach the rural areas. TVWS can go as low as
470mhz. Even the upper channels around 600mhz have significantly more
foliage penetration than that of 900mhz.

I would like to see a DSSS product whereby an AP can TX on two or four
combined channels and RX on a different single channel.

Matthew Jenkins
SmarterBroadband
m...@sbbinc.net
530.272.4000