SmarterBroadband
m...@sbbinc.net
530.272.4000

On 09/19/2014 05:15 PM, George Skorup (Cyber Broadcasting) via Af wrote:
The TVWS ship has sailed.. and sank. The best we can hope for is that the SCADA folks move there. And then Tommy Boy will probably give all that spectrum away to his cellco buddies.

On 9/19/2014 7:09 PM, Ken Hohhof via Af wrote:
I meant it in the spirit of the Stride gum commercials. Chew another piece already!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSkCEYpShA

-----Original Message----- From: Rory Conaway via Af
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:46 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Dear Cambium

Ken, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement about Cambium screwing themselves because they built them to last forever. People are willing to pay for quality since cost of ownership is much lower. For example, if Cambium had the ePMP even 2 years ago or something 802.11 compatible (not that the ePMP is compatible), I would rather have paid 50% more for a radio that will be here in 5 years. I consider that the minimum life of the product before a new technology needs to be deployed and from an accounting standpoint, it fits the depreciation schedule. As it is, we assume Ubiquiti will last 3 years since that's been our experience. We are seeing the Nanobridges, AirRouters, and Toughswitches fail even faster than that though so our financials have to be adjusted and we have to charge more to cover it. Our hope is that the new Nanobeams have a longer average lifespan than the last 2 product series so that all is right with the world.

As for 900Mhz, there are people that need something in that band. However, it's going to take a different technology than 802.11 or something along the lines of an advanced 802.11 product to work down there. Other than the WiMax products going into that band, I know of 2 other companies that have the potential to do some amazing things with the band and another technology that may be able to be used in that band. We will see how that plays out.

I think short term if I was having to move into the sub-1GHz band, I'd seriously be looking at White Space as a temporary solution. You might have to be creative with the financing options but I saw Radio Shack increase sales by bringing in outside financing options for clients when computers were big in the 80's, maybe there is something that could be done there. I'm sure WISPER Ventures or one of the companies that have specialized financing might be able to come up with something.

Rory