Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 11:28 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] Physically Hooking up Voip Lines

I'm interested in how people are doing physical Residential VoIP
Installs.  Do you just provide the ATA and let the customer figure it
out, or do you physically hook it into the house wiring for them?  We're
doing more and more, and it seems like it takes almost as much time to
do the Wireless install as it does to install the ATA.  By the time you
track down the house wires, disconnect them from the PSTN, run a wire
from the ATA to where you can tie into the house wiring (not always
close by), and then wire the ATA in.  The one's we're converting all
seem to have several corded phones they still want to use.

Also, how do you cover the crossover time between installation and
Number port.  Business customer are one thing, I have them setup the
call forwarding feature at the ILEC, and forward calls to a temporary
DID until the port happens.  But trying to get an older person to call
the ILEC and understand what they need to ask for (and not get sucked
into a new contract) is much more difficult.

I'm not sure how Vonage does it, do they walk people through tracing
down cables over the phone?  Or once the number port happens, they
presume the ILEC port is dead, so then they just have the customer plug
it in to any wall jack?

Nate