Do you schedule both the Wireless and ATA install on the same day, or are they 2 installs? If they are the same day, how do you convince the customer of switching their Phone over when they don't even have the service yet. Don't they question your reliability since their sisters daughters ex-boyfriends cousin had wireless once, and it dropped out this one time so it's not reliable?

On 9/27/2014 4:35 PM, Ken Hohhof via Af wrote:
I forgot to address the due date issue. Like Jeremy, I try to schedule the install on the porting due date. We don’t get an exact time, but ports usually take effect around 8-9 am, rarely will it not be complete if you schedule a late morning or an afternoon install. Also note that many residential people use their landlines mostly to call out, other people call them on their cellphones because they don’t know if they will be home or not. Couple that with the fact that you can call out on the VoIP line and have the caller ID show the right number even before it ports, it’s the incoming calls that won’t get routed to the VoIP line until the number ports. So if you can’t schedule the install the same day, many people will be OK if you install it the day before. If they are going to use exclusively a cordless phone, most people can handle unplugging it from the wall and plugging it into the ATA on the morning of the porting due date.
*From:* Chris Fabien via Af <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Sent:* Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:44 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Physically Hooking up Voip Lines
We are moving toward strongly suggesting customers not use the house wiring. Seen way too many issues with poor house wiring causing problems or with damaged ATAs after lightning strikes.

Our experience, many houses have hacked up phone wiring that somehow works OK for landline service but the ATAs don't tolerate it. Makes for a difficult conversation explaining to customer who wired up their house with radioshack phone cords and splitters, laying on ground in the wet crawlspace, why their new VOIP service isn't reliable. On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Jeremy via Af <af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>> wrote:

    I install every VoIP customer for no additional charge.  I know
    the port date before it happens so I always schedule the install
    for that day, and let them know when we begin the process that
    they may be without for a few hours on the day that the porting
completes. Most VoIP installs are simple, like two minutes. Occasionally we run into the nightmare installs. I ask them and
    if they just use one expandable cordless set I don't touch the
    wiring.  Otherwise we do the whole home install.  I'd say the
    majority are whole home installs.  We try to make sure that we
    bring the wire into the hub whenever possible, or near a phone
    jack.  That way if they decide that they want VoIP down the road
    it is an easy install.  I always consider the potential VoIP
    install when doing the wireless install.
    On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Ken Hohhof via Af <af@afmug.com