im curious from the small business owner, which I assume most of you owners
on the list consider yourselves, how do you value a pay increase? (assume
its an employee that is worth their salt)
Do you try to just keep it where the employee has the same spending power,
ie just cost of living to match inflation, percentage based, profit based,
set value?

In discussions with the boss about future he mentioned a number, for shits
and giggles I compared what my last raise is worth today.

I havent had a raise in 2.5 years, and based on the government calculators
what I make now was worth 80 cents more 2.5 years ago than it is now.

The number he said was a dollar, which under normal curcumstances to po
folk like me isnt a small raise.

but when I looked at the numbers, that dollar only puts me 20 cents up on
where I was 2.5 years ago, that 8 cents a year in increased purchasing
power.

That kind of boils down to an insult. Or is that the wrong way to look at
the value of the potential pay increase?

I have never believed in asking an employer for a raise, my thoughts have
always been that an employer thats a good employer will pay you what they
think your worth to them, apparently im worth 8 cents

--
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the
parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you