From: That One Guy via Af
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 10:30 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] valuing a pay increase

Yeah, Jab starts their phone techs at more than I make, but Im one of those
people that wont quit.

Im pretty critical, but my employer is one that will just let things fail and
deal with the aftermath. Ive worked for the organization for 10 years and this
company for 5. Ive missed one deadline, the first in my life, and that was when
my dads family shop burned down and I had to take some time off to dig through
the rubble. They wouldnt find a person to replace me directly, the
routing/transit management would go to a 3rd party consultant/contractor, they
would rely on Powercode directly to manage that and the associated hardware,
They would contract our partner company to manage the infrastructure builds, he
would move from the inexpensive UBNT type hardware on the backhaul network to
licensed "set and forget" links, specced out by vendors installed by
contractors. The backend systems like our DNS, internal messaging sytems,
backup/archiving, etc would either fail or be redesigned by a consultant and
maintained under a contract. The contract support side stuff like the windows
server contracts he would pick up the slack on for a bit and hand off any
excess to our current 3rd party consultant we use for big project assistance.
All the extra stuff like surveillance/dvr systems would go to the techs limited
by their capacity. Incidentals that pop up periodically like the FCC crap and
ARIN interaction would all be handled by the respective agency we deal with
support staff. Day to day maintenance would get neglected for the most part,
then dealt with in disaster mode by the associated vendor support avenues. New
product would be handles by the salesguys from the vendors.

So realistically, I am very replaceable, with a pretty big upfront fee, but
probably in the long run the recurring cost would be less and an inbound guy to
fill my role would really only need to know which numbers to call. So it could
even be hes realized this and 8 cents is meant to be an insult.

In this industry in this economy, what kind of pay increases should a guy deem
fair? a penny more is a penny more