I would not use anything related to Quickbooks as an example of the best way to
do something.

Your only choices from Intuit are how you get screwed, not whether.

From: Travis Johnson via Af
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:02 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] SM Isolation question

How do you figure? Everything will eventually be SaaS... and it's a much better
model for both sides. The software stays updated and current and bug fixes are
instant. The initial cost to start with the software is usually 1/10th what it
would be to buy, and it allows people to use the software from anywhere.

Many years ago, I was of the same opinion. Then I started to realize my time
(or anyone else's time) was better spent focusing on the product we sold rather
than installing/fixing/supporting someone else's software.

I know I personally spent at least 50+ hours over the previous 15 years
installing/fixing/supporting Quickbooks on our LAN. Getting it installed on a
server, setting up the shares, mapping drive letters, installing it on each PC,
etc. The software cost us $500 to buy, and then the yearly updates were usually
$200-$300. Or you can subscribe to the online version for $39/month and be done
with it. It's automatically backed up, you don't have to host it on your own
server, or worry about upgrade issues or users with problems, etc.

Time is money. Spend your time doing what you know how to do, and hire someone
else to do the other tasks. :)

Travis