From: Bill Prince via Af
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:41 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] SM Isolation question

I've got to say I'm firmly on the fence with regard to this issue.

The last time we paid for MS Office was back in 2000 (seriously).  I think we
paid $400 or $500 for it, and it was the type of thing that we could load on a
couple of PCs for the duration.  Yes, it got long in tooth, but it worked, and
it did what we wanted.  That came to about $16 per PC per year.  Pretty good
deal, and I don't think we missed out on much.  Sure, a couple of years ago, MS
made a major change to file formats that the old version couldn't open, but
they also provided viewers and converters so we made do.

However, most of the office files you see these days are the new format, so we
decided to get the new version as a service.  We're paying $150 per year for 5
seats (which we only need 4 of).  So that will be $37 per PC per year (or $30
per PC per year if we install it on another PC).  Call that inflation, but it
also gets updates on a more-or-less continuous basis.

The biggest downside is that the new office contains a bunch of cruff that we
don't need, and "probably" won't use.

Call it progress, or whatever.  I've seen a bunch of model-evolutions over the
years, and this just seems to be the latest.