Please mark the hell out of the cable if you decide to put 120VAC on it. Technically it will work just fine. It's just pretty hazardous to the guy who comes along later, has no idea what it is and grabs hold of the center conductor, or tries to cut the line.

Nobody is really expecting lethal voltages on coax. They probably should be, and RF can be deadly, but it's out of the ordinary on LMR type cables.

It's also really ugly if one of your own guys gets confused and connects the LMR with 120VAC on it to your shiny new Remec radio head.

Mark

On 11/10/14, 12:27 PM, Chuck McCown via Af wrote:
Neutral bar is in the circuit breaker panel. It is where all the white wires terminate. You attach, clamp, solder a white wire to the shield. Extend the insulated center conductor and put it on a circuit breaker. Instant $120 VAC appears at the top of the tower. Depending on the size of the coax, you could easily do 30 amps or more.
*From:* Josh Luthman via Af <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Sent:* Monday, November 10, 2014 9:37 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] New site DC power help
Well I was thinking...
AC -> battery charger -> 24v batteries -> coax up the building
coax -> 24v regulator -> PacketFlux
What is the neutral bar?
Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Chuck McCown via Af <af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>> wrote:

    Why DC?  Why not just tie the center conductor to a circuit
    breaker and make sure the shield is tied to the neutral bar.  Then
    you have all kinds of options up there.