From: Josh Luthman via Af
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:34 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Wrong surge suppressor on gig POE

When it clamps, does it just dump the power to ground or would something get
damaged on the card?

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343

On Dec 10, 2014 9:29 AM, "Chuck McCown via Af" <af@afmug.com> wrote:

  The non POE SS have LV and HV versions.

  The old 444 and other radio specific units have HV on the POE pairs and your
choice of LV or HV on the data pairs.

  GigE SS is your choice, LV or HV.
  GigE SS POE is all HV on all wires.

  The buyer needs to know that if you want something clamped at 4 volts, it
will clamp at 4 volts.
  And that is the ultimate in protection for non POE situations assuming there
isn't a bunch of RF or other noise causing false clamps.

  If you put 5 volts on the line it will clamp.
  I am always surprised when people do this and then complain about it.
  Kinda like airbags going off on a demolition derby car.  How is that the
fault of the airbag?

  -----Original Message----- From: George Skorup (Cyber Broadcasting) via Af