http://store.packetflux.com/sitemonitor-6-channel-switch-closure-input/

From: Chuck McCown via Af
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 10:20 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] cheap and dirty telemetry

Lots of folks have connected a relay to an ethernet port to loop it back.  When
the relay is open, the connection goes away.

I am looking for a way to do some centralized polling of ports like that.  I
don’t want to have to build some kind of small ardueno board and burn an IP for
each one.  But I can’t think of a way around using an IP unless the device,
such as a managed switch can do an snmp trap for each port.

Maybe it will become a product if it doesn’t exist.  Telemetry on a stick.  Two
terminals for a contact closure.  POE powering.  Pollable and trap sending.
Hopefully something like this already exists?