Pretty sure MikroTik routers will spit out a Trap when then interfaces change
state. Loopback wiring to a magnetic or button switch would do the trick, you
wouldn’t even need a relay.

Jerry

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Chuck McCown via Af
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 8:21 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] cheap and dirty telemetry

Lots of folks have connected a relay to an ethernet port to loop it back.  When
the relay is open, the connection goes away.

I am looking for a way to do some centralized polling of ports like that.  I
don’t want to have to build some kind of small ardueno board and burn an IP for
each one.  But I can’t think of a way around using an IP unless the device,
such as a managed switch can do an snmp trap for each port.

Maybe it will become a product if it doesn’t exist.  Telemetry on a stick.  Two
terminals for a contact closure.  POE powering.  Pollable and trap sending.
Hopefully something like this already exists?