I've only had Android crashing issues when experimenting with ported roms
from new devices, hacked to run on old devices.  I've also experienced it
with heavily modded roms that add additional functionality.  This is the
reason that my wife will no longer let me root her devices.  She had some
bad experiences, and did not like the constant cat and mouse when updates
came out.  Stock devices are usually rock solid.