I guess it could be treated like 137/138/139/445 which do not belong on the
public Internet, I would feel better about blocking if it was a low numbered
port.

Are you blocking it inbound to your network, or also outbound?

From: Ty Featherling via Af
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:06 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] North Korea is down....

After seeing suspicious traffic I have dropped UDP port 1900 globally with no
ill-effects. I have dropepd over 300 GB of that traffic this month.

-Ty

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Ken Hohhof via Af <af@afmug.com> wrote:
  I read somewhere, I think maybe Ars, that the DDoS attack has been going on
for several days and is using primarily NTP and SSDP (UPnP discovery protocol)
amplification.  And that SSDP has succeeded NTP and DNS as the amplification
method for big (> 1Gbps) DDoS attacks.  Apparently because the industry jumped
on securing open NTP servers.  And even though SSDP provides less amplification
than NTP, there are more targets and they are mostly home routers which
consumers are not going to patch even if there is patched firmware available.
Plus UDP makes it easier to spoof the source IP.

  So I must have missed that UDP port 1900 is the new target for amplification.

  I did a quick torch and saw a bunch of traffic on udp/1900, some inbound only
which I assume are scans, some bidirectional which I’m thinking is suspicious
but maybe some port 1900 traffic is normal because it is in the >1024 ephemeral
port range.

  I went and signed up for ShadowServer, figuring they will tell me what IPs
were responding to SSDP requests on what date and I can track down the
customer.  Anyone have a better approach?  If you identify customers with UPnP
open to the outside, are you contacting them and pushing them to fix it?

  It’s just amazing to me that some routers would have UPnP open on the WAN
side.  What’s wrong with these companies?  I saw DLink mentioned, and sure
enough, when I torched for udp/1900, I saw a lot of connections for a customer
that I seem to remember has a DLink DIR-655.