We have blocked 1900 UDP for many years and never have “seen” any side affects
from that

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Mark Radabaugh via Af
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:44 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] North Korea is down....

UDP 1900 is ephemeral port, and a low number.

Many network stacks pick ports sequentially above 1025 which means some portion
of legitimate traffic is going to be dropped if you block just based on UDP
1900.   It will cause intermittent and unpredictable failures for applications
and it will likely be very difficult to troubleshoot since the issue will be
short lived in most cases.

You probably want to consider a more specific filter looking deeper in the
packet.

Mark

On Dec 23, 2014, at 10:06 AM, Ty Featherling via Af