> AFAIK, the 2 primary ways to get access to ROW for most of the US is a
> Franchise agreement and/or CLEC certification.  This gets you into the
> Utility ROW Easements without issues.  Many properties have ROW Utility
> easements.
>
> If you plan to do Video, you might as well do the CATV franchise
> agreement.  This typically gets you into the Utility ROW easements and
> easements set aside for the city.​

And therein lies the rub. The Colorado PUC stated last week that they are
cracking down on data-only providers filing for CLEC certification simply
for ROW access. Now, if you want certification, you have to have a Class 5
switch and must plan to originate access traffic or they'll deny the
application on the spot.

> Some states have allowed broadband providers to use utility easements.
>
> Unless you are prepared to spend a minimum of $250k for video, I recommend
> you run away.  Dish just launch phase 1 of their internet video offering.
> More channels will follow.   I don't think you'll ever make your money back
> here, unless you plan to be at 5k subs.

Yeah, saw their plans for sling.com pop up last week. Ouch. $250k. That's
expensive, but considering the PUCs stance on data only providers...it
might be cheaper than jumping into the facilities-based telecom game 15
years too late.