One other option, depending on local politics, is to get the local ordinance
redrafted to accommodate broadband providers in the ROW easements.  Where doing
the CATV franchise agreement isn’t an option for whatever reason, this is a
relatively painless route to try, too.

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Hogg
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 12:04 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Laying your own fiber?

AFAIK, the 2 primary ways to get access to ROW for most of the US is a
Franchise agreement and/or CLEC certification.  This gets you into the Utility
ROW Easements without issues.  Many properties have ROW Utility easements.

If you plan to do Video, you might as well do the CATV franchise agreement.
This typically gets you into the Utility ROW easements and easements set aside
for the city.​

Some states have allowed broadband providers to use utility easements.

Unless you are prepared to spend a minimum of $250k for video, I recommend you
run away.  Dish just launch phase 1 of their internet video offering.  More
channels will follow.   I don't think you'll ever make your money back here,
unless you plan to be at 5k subs.
Doug Hass
Associate
312.786.6502

Franczek Radelet P.C.
Celebrating 20 Years | 1994-2014

300 South Wacker Drive
Suite 3400
Chicago, IL 60606
312.986.0300 - Main
312.986.9192 - Fax
www.franczek.com

Circular 230 Disclosure: Under requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue
Service, we inform you that, unless specifically stated otherwise, any federal
tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing
or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matter herein.
For more information about Franczek Radelet P.C., please visit franczek.com.
The information contained in this e-mail message or any attachment may be
confidential and/or privileged, and is intended only for the use of the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient of this message, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or
any attachment thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Franczek Radelet is committed to sustainability - please consider the
environment before printing this email