BTW: What finally worked for me in this guy's barn was warming up the strand for a few seconds with a heat gun. Then strip, clean, and cleave as quick as I could. Suddenly everything worked.

Double yes. My guys always heat the enclosures up in the trailer before splicing. Leave it alone it will never break, clean it and strip it cold your in trouble.