Trying to find a pony in this pile of manure, I guess we could look at this as
saying they’re not going to give the telcos CAF money for 10/1 and watch them
take 5 years and just deploy some ADSL2+ remote DSLAMs on existing copper, we
want the money spent on fiber so it will still be useful in 20 years.

And the results might be that the welfare queens of the telco business like
CenturyLink decide not to take the money if they have to put in actual FTTH.

But why 25/3 and not 25/25, or 100/50 like in the Broadband plan?  When I hear
25/3, it sounds like you put a Netflix guy and a UVerse guy in a room and asked
them to suggest a number.  If there was a Google Fiber guy in the room, he
would roll his eyes.

Assuming most CAF funded projects will take 3-5 years from now, most of us will
probably have 25/3 capability by then anyway if you extrapolate current trends
(although the most popular plan will probably still be whatever costs between
$35 and $50).  If they are going to give the telco CAF money to overbuild us,
and especially if we have to pay into the fund, I guess I’d like to see the
money spent on a future proof network, not just subsidize the telcos to deploy
some remote DSLAMS.

So one argument could be the benchmark isn’t high enough.  After all, the 2010
National Broadband Plan set goals of 100 million homes having access to
100M/50M by the end of the decade, and all anchor institutions having access to
1 gigabit.

Unfortunately, whether the goal is set at 25/3 or 100/50, it doesn’t help the
people who still don’t have access to (or can’t afford) 4/1.  As CAF money is
used to build 25/3 for the people with 4K televisions, will there be low cost
plans for the people who really just want 4/1 at an affordable price?