I'm trying to hook an ATA (Grandstream GXW4004) up to a Mitel PBX. The Mitel is expecting a 'Loop Start' line. I've read through the Wikipedia pages, and looked through the documentation. But I'm still confused. How do you tell if an ATA is producing lines that are 'Loop Start' or 'Ground Start' Or is there something else it's doing.

The client is having issues where some calls are terminating in the middle of a conversation, or not disconnecting and leaving the line open. The PBX Contractor (the only way you can do anything with a Mitel PBX is through a Contractor) is telling them that they can make no adjustments to the analog card in the Mitel, and it's not working because our lines are 'Not up to industry standards for loop start lines.' When they had ILEC POTS lines, the PBX was working normally, this just happened when we switched them to an ATA.

I have a ticket open with Grandstream, but I thought I'd ask here. Is there a way to test loop vs Ground start, and verify that the ATA is up to 'Industry standards'? The Contractor is Telling the client that our lines have low voltage, and there is "data" present on the line. I wasn't on site when the tech was, so I have no idea what sort of testing he was doing.

Any telephone guys care to offer insight?

Thanks,
Nate