Per UL requirements, almost all transformer style power bricks will incorporate a (non field replaceable) fuse. If you short the output, the fuse pops.

-----Original Message----- From: David
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:07 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Cat5/6 POE splicing while live?

+1 :)

On 02/19/2015 12:15 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
Don't do it on an old canopy power supply. It will blow it for certain. (Talking about the old original units, not the switchmode powersupply units).

-----Original Message----- From: Sterling Jacobson
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:13 AM
To: 'af@afmug.com'
Subject: [AFMUG] Cat5/6 POE splicing while live?

Is it possible to cut into a POE injected Cat5/6 run without frying stuff?

I think I've done it on regular Ethernet without causing damage to the Ethernet port, but maybe I'm pushing it with that too?

I know the safest way is to unplug the Ethernet cable, then do the splice/work/end on it, then plug it back in, but would be really nice if I didn't have to bother the home owner when fixing/splicing a live run to the outside of the house.