I was surprised as you are. Customer got them instead of the router I told her
and I gave them a try.

You do lose bandwidth, they're just WDS repeaters, but as far as seemless
roaming Linksys got it right.

The only thing I've had that worked as well for me was WDS with MT, however,
the bandwidth issue again.

Last hotel I did I used RB411 + dbii 2.4GHz N cards if memory serves, the ones
that are no longer on the market. No WDS, ethernet to every AP, pretty good
roaming, but coverage was so good that unless you had two rooms on opposite
ends of the hotel on different floors it was never an issue. The dude's hotel
had more capacity than some of my towers, just not the feed to support it.

For the most part I've found the Linksys method to be seemless regardless of
the clients.

Just about everything I've tried that wasn't using WDS was highly dependent on
the client, so roaming was all over the map. Some would never even hiccup while
playing an MP3 over the network, others would hang on to a -95 in spite of the
same SSID having a -50 nearby. I did watch the data stream on torch to make
sure that my laptop wasn't buffering ahead.

Linksys is a consumer level setup. Works fine for User Bob's house and User Bob
can pick up replacements at Walmart.