+1

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Peter Kranz
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 12:02 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] More LTE tradgedy of the commons on 5 GHz..

I think the point some are missing is the lesson learned from 900Mhz and smart
meters.

While 900Mhz is unlicensed spectrum, a single operator has managed to take it
over in California to the point where no other user has any chance of using the
spectrum for commercial purposes.

By this I mean that PG&E’s deployment of smart meters on every power meter in
the area, and on top of power poles, and other high sites, has raised the noise
floor on this band to unusable levels for high speed communications.

So by means of overwhelming numbers, PG&E managed to take over 900Mhz for its
own users, stranding the investment of ISPs in this spectrum in affected
markets. I don’t think the commissions initial concept of unlicensed spectrum
was that a single operator would do this, I think they expected operators by
this to use licensed spectrum.

I’d like to see a limit on how many systems a particular entity can deploy in
an unlicensed band. It could be some high number, like 1 million units.

Peter Kranz
Founder/CEO - Unwired Ltd
 <http://www.unwiredltd.com/> www.UnwiredLtd.com
Desk: 510-868-1614 x100