From: "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2015 12:05:29 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] testing DNS server performance

I also don’t know how important it is that a CDN be “near” you.

By definition, you’re probably talking a sustained download, either a video
stream or some kind of large file download. And most of the time you will see 4
parallel TCP connections. I really don’t think latency matters once you start
the download. What does matter is server balancing. If your DNS server has
correct geoIP but Netflix chooses to send your customers to a server in Dallas,
maybe their Chicago servers are overloaded or undergoing maintenance. Do you
really want to second guess their decisions? About all you can do is make sure
your DNS server is in the right place according to the geolocation database
services, and let the content provider decide what IP address to hand out to
your customers and how to route that IP (they may use geoIP info to decide the
routing, not the DNS).

Now, if your DNS server appears to be in a whole wrong part of the world, that
may have dramatic effects, like totally different content being available
because Netflix thinks your customer is in Europe or Asia.