The management VID should always be permanent in the membership table, i.e. you do not have to add it. Just remember that VLAN 1 is treated differently on Canopy, it is always untagged. I believe it will ignore any VLAN 1 tagged frames. So perhaps you are trying to send VLAN 1 as tagged and that's why it's not working?

I have a customer with a few offices on a single AP and then wanted to do VLANs. I set their SMs to default port VID 2, the AP dynamically learns them as they register. Management is untagged. Everything works fine, though I did have to turn off management VID passthrough on their SMs since apparently my DHCP server was leaking into their VLAN.