It sounded like he used a test feature of the atheros chipset to make the radio transmit constantly. I assume a different atheros radio would do the same thing.

For a controlled test, that method seems to make sense, but it's probably different from an 802.11 interferer who transmits when there's something to transmit versus transmitting continuously.