Then you're not following the single-point/everything connected principle.

On 6/3/2015 7:09 PM, Jaime Solorza wrote:

I run the ground wire directly to dedicated ground rod. We DO Not tie in to ring or grid. This is a straight shot...

Jaime Solorza

On Jun 3, 2015 5:15 PM, "Edward Brooks" <broo...@mt.net <mailto:broo...@mt.net>> wrote:

    So, to clarify things. These are Cyclone 2450-VS APs set to 120deg.
    That said, the idea with the ground wires for the omni may not work.
    A surge arrestor at the top and bottom (not part way up).
    Try not to be the tallest thing on the tower.
    Aerial at top with dedicated ground wire to ground rod tied into
    Tower ground ring.
    Does that about sum it up?

    -Ed

    On 6/3/2015 4:53 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
    I have used them.  I believe the theories.  But I think you would
    have to talk to broadcasters to get a good opinion.  They don’t
    seem to be as popular as they once were.
    *From:* Edward Brooks <mailto:broo...@mt.net>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, June 03, 2015 4:51 PM
    *To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Static & Nearby Lightning Issues
    Thanks Ken,
          Has anyone had any experience with dissipators?  Are they
    worth the money and labor?

    -Ed
-- Edward Brooks
    /Outside Plant Manager
    The Montana Internet Corporation/
    406-443-3347 X506 <tel:406-443-3347%20X506>

    On 6/3/2015 4:35 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
    I would NOT put Cat5 surge protectors every 50-75 feet, you will
    likely get Ethernet errors and/or negotiation problems.  At most
    there should be one at each end.
    You are probably thinking of coax, and even so I suspect those
    are shield grounds, not actual surge protectors.
    I do agree with not making your antennas the highest thing on
    the tower if you can help it.
    If you must use an omni antenna located at the top, I have had
    some success with a COAX surge protector between the radio and
    the antenna.  Polyphaser makes some DC blocking types that work
    OK and aren’t too expensive.  If lightning hits, the omni is
    still probably toast, but it might save the radio.