I have another connectorized board I can throw in this one. We've been pushing the FSK out to smaller sites, but it's getting too slow even for those. Probably end up swapping those out with ePMP eventually. If we get a bad FSK SM, we just toss them now since we can get used ones as replacements for the same or less price to repair them. This one will go in the shit bin too because it's a P9, so why even bother getting it repaired.

On 6/8/2015 5:27 PM, Paul McCall wrote:
Ya know... I hear there is a company that fix all those broken Cyclone issues.  
Or, help with a replacement board for it.

Just sayin...

Paul, PDMNet


-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of George Skorup
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 4:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] storms

Found out something yanked the cat5 out of one of the Cyclones. Stuck it back 
in and tightened down the feed-thru to all hell. Said, meh, this site is 
getting a 3.6 450 cluster anyway. That storm must've been pretty bad because 
there were overturned semi trailers next door. Then the other one, I thought 
maybe the timing cable went to shit and got water in it. Nope, pulled the 
timing cable out, pins are all clean and corrosion free, still comes up in 
default. Surprise, surprise, it's a P9. Probably a nearby lightning strike 
killed the diode or whatever gets stuck that detects the default plug. It's 
like 6 years old, I'll try a board transplant.

On 6/8/2015 8:44 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
BTW, I have used an omni with 7 degree electrical downtilt at a grain
leg in a small town where I mainly wanted to cover a 1-2 mile radius
and had a lot of interference coming from T6 sites in all directions.
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=342385&event
Page=1



-----Original Message----- From: George Skorup
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 8:22 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] storms

Nope, just regular 360's. SS top and bottom. Timing via SyncPipes. No
other radios at either site had any issues (both Canopy and UBNT). I
have Cyclones on a number of other sites and they're all fine. A few
sites with 5750-360's always get random reboots during thunderstorms.
The logs say power-on reset. And only the Cyclones, no other radios. I
had one take a direct lightning strike a couple years ago. The antenna
was gone and the board was black. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

I like LMG stuff, it's rugged, but yeah, any FSK stuff we have to put
up, I'm just going with connectorized radios and external antennas now.
Luckily we do have two APs and the same L-com/Hyperlink antennas LMG
uses on the Cyclones. I'll probably end up ripping them apart and
swapping the boards out. But I think we're going to be doing the same
thing you're doing, using 3.6 450 as a replacement for 2.4 because the
noise is just horrendous in all but the most extreme rural areas. We
have one 2.4 450 up at a quiet tower, but you can't get around the
noise at the SM side from the customer's 40MHz wide router, and the
bigger houses end up getting two of them.

On 6/7/2015 10:33 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
We got some rain this morning, but all the bad stuff they were
predicting for this afternoon went south. Apparently not far enough
south to miss you.

Are those the Cyclones with the built-in sync and surge protection?
I had a lot of those get fried in storms.

Actually after having my 2450-360 in Scarboro repaired a couple
times, I went to just a connectorized AP and an omni, with a
Polyphaser on the bottom of the omni.  That might be your quickest
fix unless you have spares.

I've had Cyclones go flaky after a rainstorm and fix themselves once
the sun came out, they seem susceptible to condensation in the RJ45
jacks. Most of the time they've been fried though.  You could take a
can of Dust-Off when you climb though, see if you get lucky.


-----Original Message----- From: George Skorup
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2015 10:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [AFMUG] storms

Anybody else have the lightning gods hate on you? Got two Cyclone
2450-360's down from the storms tonight. Early morning, yay! Not.
Drove through some light hail and torrential rain, couldn't see past the hood.
That was fun.

One of the Cyclones says the default plug is inserted. I really wish
we could just set the damn thing to ignore the default plug for times
like this. But no.



Reply via email to