I will attending Cambium training next week.  I am taking notes from this
discussion.

Jaime Solorza
On Jun 9, 2015 8:07 PM, "Dan Sullivan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>  Hi Craig,
>
>
>
> What you describe sounds like an UL interference problem to me, although
> you did indicate that you ran eDetect and did not see any interferers.
> Here is what I would try.
>
>
>
> If you are still setting up your sectors and the channel plan is still
> flexible, I would run ACS on each sector to find out the best channel(s)
> for each sector on a tower.  ACS provides a measurement of every kind of
> noise / interferer seen (e.g. 802.11 based, Canopy, etc.).
>
>
>
> Once this is done, I would then select pick an ABAB configuration which
> optimizes the findings from ACS where the A and B channels are spaced at
> least 5 MHz apart.  For example, using 2412 and 2437 provides 5 MHz guard
> band (i.e. 2422-2427).  5 MHz of guard band is all that is required when
> you run in TDD Sync.
>
>
>
> eDetect can now be run on each sector in order to detect 802.11 UL
> interferers.  It will not detect other types of interferers.  I would run
> eDetect in local mode as all spare time is spent looking for interferers.
>
>
>
> These steps should allow you to pick the best two channels for an ABAB
> configuration to solve your UL performance issues if it is due to
> interference.
>
>
>
> With regard to UL RSSI, when using the Subscriber Module Target Receive
> Level (TRL) on the AP in TDD Sync mode, this should be set around -60 dBm
> on the AP.  This field defines the RSSI that the AP will hear from each
> SM.  Each SM will change its transmit power so that the exact UL RSSI value
> as defined by the SM TRL is realized for the SM at the AP.  If you set the
> value higher than this, then the back side sector AP will start hearing the
> SMs from this AP.  This is because the front to back ratio of the sector
> antenna is 30-35 dB.  If the SM TRL is -60 dBm, then the noise floor due to
> the backside sector is somewhere between -95 to -90 dBm.  If the SM TRL is
> raised to -50 dBm, then the noise floor due to the backside sector is
> raised to between -85 to -80 dBm.  The overall CINR is no different in
> either case and additional energy is added to the environment.
>
>
>
> ePMP has optimized its sector antennas with front to back ratio.  I
> recommend using these sector antennas.  If you use different sector
> antennas, choosing high gain antennas that have poorer front to back will
> actually hurt you.  Say you choose a sector antenna that gives say 2 dB
> better gain, but the front to back suffers by 5-8 dB on average.  Then the
> CINR will be decreased to 22-30 dB best case and the highest MCS may not be
> achieved on both the UL and the DL due to interference from your back
> sector.
>
>
>
> In the US and everywhere except for ETSI, the ePMP does not support CCA in
> TDD mode.  It does not wait to transmit based on environmental noise.
> Therefore, if throughput and MCS is decreased at high RSSI for a site, this
> is most likely due to interferers occurring at the same time and raising
> the noise floor.
>
>
>
> With regard to 10, 20, or 40 MHz channels, what I would do is look at the
> noise level using ACS for each channel size.  If you have really clean
> spectrum, you could use 40 MHz, but if not you might find cleaner 20 or 10
> MHz channels that favor their use.  In general the channel bandwidths
> perform comparably in similar noise environments (of course doubling the
> channel bandwidth doubles the noise floor).
>
>
>
> I hope this helps.
>
>
>
> Dan Sullivan
>
> ePMP Software Manager
>
> Cambium Networks
>
> Cambium Networks Community Forum <http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* Af [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Josh Reynolds
> *Sent:* Monday, June 08, 2015 3:41 PM
> *To:* [email protected]
> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
>
>
> None of our radios have high PPS load. Matter of fact, average packet size
> on our network is 1.3k. PPS per radio is very low.
>
> FWIW, there are no file sharers on our network. If they exist, their
> connection is encapsulated over VPN.
>
>  Josh Reynolds
>
> CIO, SPITwSPOTS
>
> www.spitwspots.com
>
>  On 06/08/2015 11:16 AM, Rory Conaway wrote:
>
>  The pps and cpu load absolutely is another variable you need to take
> into acount, especially with 400 and 526mhz atheros �processors that are
> also running polling. � Ignore it as part of your overall strategy and
> you could be wasting spectrum. �If your ap never exceeds 80mbps, why do
> you want 30mhz channels. �Sarcasm aside, does that help you understand my
> point.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
> shortcuts or typos.
>
>
>
> Rory Conaway
>
> Triad Wireless
>
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
> Date: 06/08/2015 2:17 PM (GMT-05:00)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
> I think we are having two different conversations, and I have no idea what
> you are talking about right now.
>
> What we were discussing has to do with channel sizes, epmp, and ubiquiti.
> In particular, why UBNT 40mhz isn't any better than 30mhz in terms of
> efficiency.
>
> This part of the discussion has nothing at all to do with any theories on
> PPS you may have, other than those you have tried to inject into this
> discussion.
>
> On Jun 8, 2015 10:07 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Excopt that as was mentioned before, the s/n ratio goes down and if you
> aren't hitting the limits of the physical layer in 20MHz, why do it?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
> shortcuts or typos.
>
>
>
> Rory Conaway
>
> Triad Wireless
>
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
> Date: 06/08/2015 12:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
> I can assure you that on radios connected in a ptp config or small ptmp,
> that you will see more throughput on the 30mhz channel given a noise floor
> of -97 and signals in the mid -50s, even with nothing connected on the
> other side of the radios.
>
> Its an efficiency issue.
>
> On Jun 8, 2015 8:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I kind of does, the way I understood it, that bottleneck limited you from
> really being able to do anything beyond what a 30mhz channel could support.
>
> Now that I think about it, I have seen 40mhz perform better than 30mhz...
> but yes, that was because of RF problems, and neither one was doing
> anything close to what it would with a good link.
>
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> That is a bottleneck in the system, but not relevant as far as this
> discussion goes. That has nothing to do with the 30/40MHz channel
> efficiency per say.
>
> On Jun 8, 2015 8:03 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> The limitation on the older xm radios was pps.� When you added a lot of
> small packets and airmax, you could drop down to as low as 40Mbps.� In
> the real world in ptmp mode. We planned for 50mhz per AP with eveything g
> taken into account.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
> shortcuts or typos.
>
>
>
> Rory Conaway
>
> Triad Wireless
>
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
> Date: 06/08/2015 11:59 AM (GMT-05:00)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
> This. Thought it was pretty obvious but I guess I assumed too much out of
> some on this list ;)
>
> On Jun 8, 2015 7:33 AM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I think he is talking about using 40MHz channels on the older M series,
> that didn't have gig ports.� It was my understanding that the processor
> would get taxed as well on a 40MHz channel, making 30MHz actually work
> better.
>
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Josh Luthman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> Ubnt and epmp have gig ports.
>
> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> On Jun 8, 2015 11:20 AM, "Josh Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I don't know how epmp does it.
>
> For UBNT, a 30mhz channel is just a "fat" 20mhz channel in the atheros
> chip. Single operation. For� a 40mhz channel, it's really two 20s,
> meaning radio operations are ran twice. Loss in efficiency, also marred by
> the lack of gigabit port.
>
> On Jun 8, 2015 7:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I've never seeing much difference in performance on the ubnt M series
> between 30mhz and 40mhz channels, so yes, I would say that is true... but
> I'm not sure how much applies to ePMP - they do have a much a faster
> processor and on a software level they are very different.
>
> So far, I have been running all of our ePMP APs on 20mhz channels and PTP
> links on 40mhz or 20mhz, depending on how much capacity they need. I
> haven't really seen much need to go down to 10mhz channels with ePMP.
>
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Shayne Lebrun <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I seem to recall that with the M series, at least, a 30 mhz channel works
> 'better' than a 40 because the 40 is really two 20 mhz channels bonded
> together, where a 30 mhz channel is a 30 mhz channel.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rory Conaway
> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:32 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
> I'm not that familiar with the ePMP's yet but I can tell you some things
> that we saw with Ubiquiti.� One is that channel width does not scale with
> bandwidth that that Atheros chipset.� For example, 40MHz channels rarely
> hit their theoretical maximum due to a variety of factors, noise, lower
> s/n, processor limitations, etc...� Second, 20MHz channels seem to be the
> sweet spot but even with GPS sync, you have to deal with reflections.�
> Third, 10MHz channels have more overhead as a percentage of total capacity
> and don't handle a lot of users well (above 40 for example with the older
> 400MHz chipsets. I'm starting to deploy XW radios with the 520MHz
> processors but everything is 20MHz now so I don't have a comparison).� We
> did see peaks of 32Mbps with some customers on 10MHz channels but that's
> non-peak times.� In peak times, we were seeing 8Mbps when more users were
> online.
>
> Rory
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Craig House
> Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2015 5:20 PM
> To: [email protected]
>
> Subject: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
> We have deployed 6 towers to begin our new EPMP network and 4 of those
> towers have a full cluster of 2.4 90 degree EPMP sectors.� They are
> configured with ACS turned off now because in several cases they all ended
> up on the same or very close to the same channel.� I have Front back
> designations and non overlapping channels set up on all towers.� I have
> tried 40 mhz 20 mhz and now 10mhz channels and while the customer stability
> has gotten better the more I play with settings I have kind of hit a point
> I dont know what else to try.� I have some that the uplink quality will
> vary wildly from 100% to 0%.� Most have gotten better since I went to a
> 10mhz channel.� Most of the customers get 12MB -30mb down in the wireless
> link test but the uplinks are as bad as .17.� �What is the cause of
> this poor uplink quality?� Is it interfernece?� My one 5ghz AP does not
> have this problem but even with noise many of these customers have -50
> signals and oddly enough the ones with the great signals seem to be the
> ones that have the poorest link tests on the up link side.� I also have
> customes with -65 or -72 signals that get 5MB up on the same sectors?� Im
> scratching my head a bit on what the fix is for this?� Should I leave ACS
> on and change everything to 10mhz channels?� Will a full cluster with ACS
> on work all on the same channel?
> I'm used to FSK where you pick your channel and any channels that are
> adjacent will cause problems with connected SM's.� So am I just applying
> old knowledge to a technology that it doesn't apply to?
>
> Craig
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply via email to