Thank you Dan I have tried to work with support but my schedule and Vijay's are 
not very compatible. I spend most every day hanging on towers and driving so 
being in front of my computer to work on this stuff is only good for me late at 
night. I have KP sectors 90 degree with a 28dbi F/B radio. I've always been 
happy with KP stuff and since I dont have any SM's connected to the afflicted 
AP's on the opposite (Back facing) sector that uses the same channel I dont 
think this is the problem. My noise floor is somewhat higher than I would like 
and going to a 10mhz channel on the two AP's that have customers seems to have 
helped. I think I will go back to ACS in 10mhz and see how it performs. My 
problem with ACS is that the AP's auto choose close to the same channel around 
the entire cluster. We are considering adding a 5ghz omni on each tower to make 
use of where 2.4 just seems to have too much noise but I would like to save 
that spectrum for BH links where possible. 
I will follow up with you and let you know results. 

Thanks 

Craig 


----- Original Message -----

From: "Dan Sullivan" <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 9:06:53 PM 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 



Hi Craig, 



What you describe sounds like an UL interference problem to me, although you 
did indicate that you ran eDetect and did not see any interferers. Here is what 
I would try. 



If you are still setting up your sectors and the channel plan is still 
flexible, I would run ACS on each sector to find out the best channel(s) for 
each sector on a tower. ACS provides a measurement of every kind of noise / 
interferer seen (e.g. 802.11 based, Canopy, etc.). 



Once this is done, I would then select pick an ABAB configuration which 
optimizes the findings from ACS where the A and B channels are spaced at least 
5 MHz apart. For example, using 2412 and 2437 provides 5 MHz guard band (i.e. 
2422-2427). 5 MHz of guard band is all that is required when you run in TDD 
Sync. 



eDetect can now be run on each sector in order to detect 802.11 UL interferers. 
It will not detect other types of interferers. I would run eDetect in local 
mode as all spare time is spent looking for interferers. 



These steps should allow you to pick the best two channels for an ABAB 
configuration to solve your UL performance issues if it is due to interference. 



With regard to UL RSSI, when using the Subscriber Module Target Receive Level 
(TRL) on the AP in TDD Sync mode, this should be set around -60 dBm on the AP. 
This field defines the RSSI that the AP will hear from each SM. Each SM will 
change its transmit power so that the exact UL RSSI value as defined by the SM 
TRL is realized for the SM at the AP. If you set the value higher than this, 
then the back side sector AP will start hearing the SMs from this AP. This is 
because the front to back ratio of the sector antenna is 30-35 dB. If the SM 
TRL is -60 dBm, then the noise floor due to the backside sector is somewhere 
between -95 to -90 dBm. If the SM TRL is raised to -50 dBm, then the noise 
floor due to the backside sector is raised to between -85 to -80 dBm. The 
overall CINR is no different in either case and additional energy is added to 
the environment. 



ePMP has optimized its sector antennas with front to back ratio. I recommend 
using these sector antennas. If you use different sector antennas, choosing 
high gain antennas that have poorer front to back will actually hurt you. Say 
you choose a sector antenna that gives say 2 dB better gain, but the front to 
back suffers by 5-8 dB on average. Then the CINR will be decreased to 22-30 dB 
best case and the highest MCS may not be achieved on both the UL and the DL due 
to interference from your back sector. 



In the US and everywhere except for ETSI, the ePMP does not support CCA in TDD 
mode. It does not wait to transmit based on environmental noise. Therefore, if 
throughput and MCS is decreased at high RSSI for a site, this is most likely 
due to interferers occurring at the same time and raising the noise floor. 



With regard to 10, 20, or 40 MHz channels, what I would do is look at the noise 
level using ACS for each channel size. If you have really clean spectrum, you 
could use 40 MHz, but if not you might find cleaner 20 or 10 MHz channels that 
favor their use. In general the channel bandwidths perform comparably in 
similar noise environments (of course doubling the channel bandwidth doubles 
the noise floor). 



I hope this helps. 



Dan Sullivan 

ePMP Software Manager 

Cambium Networks 

Cambium Networks Community Forum 








From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Josh Reynolds 
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 3:41 PM 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 




None of our radios have high PPS load. Matter of fact, average packet size on 
our network is 1.3k. PPS per radio is very low. 

FWIW, there are no file sharers on our network. If they exist, their connection 
is encapsulated over VPN. 

Josh Reynolds 
CIO, SPITwSPOTS 
www.spitwspots.com 


On 06/08/2015 11:16 AM, Rory Conaway wrote: 





The pps and cpu load absolutely is another variable you need to take into 
acount, especially with 400 and 526mhz atheros �processors that are also 
running polling. � Ignore it as part of your overall strategy and you could 
be wasting spectrum. �If your ap never exceeds 80mbps, why do you want 30mhz 
channels. �Sarcasm aside, does that help you understand my point. 











Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse 
shortcuts or typos. 





Rory Conaway 


Triad Wireless 




-------- Original message -------- 
From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> 
Date: 06/08/2015 2:17 PM (GMT-05:00) 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 


I think we are having two different conversations, and I have no idea what you 
are talking about right now. 

What we were discussing has to do with channel sizes, epmp, and ubiquiti. In 
particular, why UBNT 40mhz isn't any better than 30mhz in terms of efficiency. 

This part of the discussion has nothing at all to do with any theories on PPS 
you may have, other than those you have tried to inject into this discussion. 


On Jun 8, 2015 10:07 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote: 


Excopt that as was mentioned before, the s/n ratio goes down and if you aren't 
hitting the limits of the physical layer in 20MHz, why do it? 











Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse 
shortcuts or typos. 





Rory Conaway 


Triad Wireless 




-------- Original message -------- 
From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> 
Date: 06/08/2015 12:43 PM (GMT-05:00) 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 


I can assure you that on radios connected in a ptp config or small ptmp, that 
you will see more throughput on the 30mhz channel given a noise floor of -97 
and signals in the mid -50s, even with nothing connected on the other side of 
the radios. 

Its an efficiency issue. 


On Jun 8, 2015 8:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]> wrote: 


I kind of does, the way I understood it, that bottleneck limited you from 
really being able to do anything beyond what a 30mhz channel could support. 


Now that I think about it, I have seen 40mhz perform better than 30mhz... but 
yes, that was because of RF problems, and neither one was doing anything close 
to what it would with a good link. 





On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Josh Reynolds < [email protected] > wrote: 

That is a bottleneck in the system, but not relevant as far as this discussion 
goes. That has nothing to do with the 30/40MHz channel efficiency per say. 


On Jun 8, 2015 8:03 AM, Rory Conaway < [email protected] > wrote: 


The limitation on the older xm radios was pps.� When you added a lot of small 
packets and airmax, you could drop down to as low as 40Mbps.� In the real 
world in ptmp mode. We planned for 50mhz per AP with eveything g taken into 
account. 











Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse 
shortcuts or typos. 





Rory Conaway 


Triad Wireless 




-------- Original message -------- 
From: Josh Reynolds < [email protected] > 
Date: 06/08/2015 11:59 AM (GMT-05:00) 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 


This. Thought it was pretty obvious but I guess I assumed too much out of some 
on this list ;) 


On Jun 8, 2015 7:33 AM, Jeremy < [email protected] > wrote: 


I think he is talking about using 40MHz channels on the older M series, that 
didn't have gig ports.� It was my understanding that the processor would get 
taxed as well on a 40MHz channel, making 30MHz actually work better. 





On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Josh Luthman < [email protected] > 
wrote: 

Ubnt and epmp have gig ports. 

Josh Luthman 
Office: 937-552-2340 
Direct: 937-552-2343 
1100 Wayne St 
Suite 1337 
Troy, OH 45373 


On Jun 8, 2015 11:20 AM, "Josh Reynolds" < [email protected] > wrote: 

I don't know how epmp does it. 

For UBNT, a 30mhz channel is just a "fat" 20mhz channel in the atheros chip. 
Single operation. For� a 40mhz channel, it's really two 20s, meaning radio 
operations are ran twice. Loss in efficiency, also marred by the lack of 
gigabit port. 


On Jun 8, 2015 7:13 AM, Mathew Howard < [email protected] > wrote: 


I've never seeing much difference in performance on the ubnt M series between 
30mhz and 40mhz channels, so yes, I would say that is true... but I'm not sure 
how much applies to ePMP - they do have a much a faster processor and on a 
software level they are very different. 


So far, I have been running all of our ePMP APs on 20mhz channels and PTP links 
on 40mhz or 20mhz, depending on how much capacity they need. I haven't really 
seen much need to go down to 10mhz channels with ePMP. 





On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Shayne Lebrun < [email protected] > wrote: 

I seem to recall that with the M series, at least, a 30 mhz channel works 
'better' than a 40 because the 40 is really two 20 mhz channels bonded 
together, where a 30 mhz channel is a 30 mhz channel. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Af [mailto: [email protected] ] On Behalf Of Rory Conaway 
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:32 PM 
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 

I'm not that familiar with the ePMP's yet but I can tell you some things that 
we saw with Ubiquiti.� One is that channel width does not scale with 
bandwidth that that Atheros chipset.� For example, 40MHz channels rarely hit 
their theoretical maximum due to a variety of factors, noise, lower s/n, 
processor limitations, etc...� Second, 20MHz channels seem to be the sweet 
spot but even with GPS sync, you have to deal with reflections.� Third, 10MHz 
channels have more overhead as a percentage of total capacity and don't handle 
a lot of users well (above 40 for example with the older 400MHz chipsets. I'm 
starting to deploy XW radios with the 520MHz processors but everything is 20MHz 
now so I don't have a comparison).� We did see peaks of 32Mbps with some 
customers on 10MHz channels but that's non-peak times.� In peak times, we 
were seeing 8Mbps when more users were online. 

Rory 


-----Original Message----- 
From: Af [mailto: [email protected] ] On Behalf Of Craig House 
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2015 5:20 PM 
To: [email protected] 


Subject: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz 

We have deployed 6 towers to begin our new EPMP network and 4 of those towers 
have a full cluster of 2.4 90 degree EPMP sectors.� They are configured with 
ACS turned off now because in several cases they all ended up on the same or 
very close to the same channel.� I have Front back designations and non 
overlapping channels set up on all towers.� I have tried 40 mhz 20 mhz and 
now 10mhz channels and while the customer stability has gotten better the more 
I play with settings I have kind of hit a point I dont know what else to 
try.� I have some that the uplink quality will vary wildly from 100% to 
0%.� Most have gotten better since I went to a 10mhz channel.� Most of the 
customers get 12MB -30mb down in the wireless link test but the uplinks are as 
bad as .17.� �What is the cause of this poor uplink quality?� Is it 
interfernece?� My one 5ghz AP does not have this problem but even with noise 
many of these customers have -50 signals and oddly enough the ones with the 
great signals seem to be the ones that have the poorest link tests on the up 
link side.� I also have customes with -65 or -72 signals that get 5MB up on 
the same sectors?� Im scratching my head a bit on what the fix is for 
this?� Should I leave ACS on and change everything to 10mhz channels?� Will 
a full cluster with ACS on work all on the same channel? 
I'm used to FSK where you pick your channel and any channels that are adjacent 
will cause problems with connected SM's.� So am I just applying old knowledge 
to a technology that it doesn't apply to? 

Craig 















Reply via email to