SSH into every single AP and it says 0.00 or 0.01.  I used to graph it way
back (maybe 5.3 days?) and I never saw it deviate.  This is definitely all
XM gear.


Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote:

>  I would have to se your data, mine does not support that.
>
>
>
>  Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
> shortcuts or typos.
>
>  Rory Conaway
> Triad Wireless
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: Josh Luthman <[email protected]>
> Date: 06/08/2015 3:26 PM (GMT-05:00)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>
>  If that was the case why are the loads of every radio 0.01 or less?
>
>
>  Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>  To prove my point further, if you do throughput testing with Ubiquity
>> in ptmp mode, you will find with xm radios, cpu load affects modulation
>> levels.  I haven't tested xw radios yet but I believe the threshold is just
>> higher and probably justifies 30mhz but it's going to be close.
>>
>>
>>
>>  Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>  Rory Conaway
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>>  From: Rory Conaway <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>  The pps and cpu load absolutely is another variable you need to take
>> into acount, especially with 400 and 526mhz atheros  processors that are
>> also running polling.   Ignore it as part of your overall strategy and you
>> could be wasting spectrum.  If your ap never exceeds 80mbps, why do you
>> want 30mhz channels.  Sarcasm aside, does that help you understand my point.
>>
>>
>>
>>  Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>  Rory Conaway
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 2:17 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>  I think we are having two different conversations, and I have no idea
>> what you are talking about right now.
>>
>> What we were discussing has to do with channel sizes, epmp, and ubiquiti.
>> In particular, why UBNT 40mhz isn't any better than 30mhz in terms of
>> efficiency.
>>
>> This part of the discussion has nothing at all to do with any theories on
>> PPS you may have, other than those you have tried to inject into this
>> discussion.
>> On Jun 8, 2015 10:07 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>  Excopt that as was mentioned before, the s/n ratio goes down and if you
>> aren't hitting the limits of the physical layer in 20MHz, why do it?
>>
>>
>>
>>  Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>  Rory Conaway
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 12:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>  I can assure you that on radios connected in a ptp config or small
>> ptmp, that you will see more throughput on the 30mhz channel given a noise
>> floor of -97 and signals in the mid -50s, even with nothing connected on
>> the other side of the radios.
>>
>> Its an efficiency issue.
>> On Jun 8, 2015 8:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>  I kind of does, the way I understood it, that bottleneck limited you
>> from really being able to do anything beyond what a 30mhz channel could
>> support.
>>
>>  Now that I think about it, I have seen 40mhz perform better than
>> 30mhz... but yes, that was because of RF problems, and neither one was
>> doing anything close to what it would with a good link.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> That is a bottleneck in the system, but not relevant as far as this
>> discussion goes. That has nothing to do with the 30/40MHz channel
>> efficiency per say.
>>  On Jun 8, 2015 8:03 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>  The limitation on the older xm radios was pps.  When you added a lot of
>> small packets and airmax, you could drop down to as low as 40Mbps.  In the
>> real world in ptmp mode. We planned for 50mhz per AP with eveything g taken
>> into account.
>>
>>
>>
>>  Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>  Rory Conaway
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 11:59 AM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>  This. Thought it was pretty obvious but I guess I assumed too much out
>> of some on this list ;)
>> On Jun 8, 2015 7:33 AM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I think he is talking about using 40MHz channels on the older M series,
>> that didn't have gig ports.  It was my understanding that the processor
>> would get taxed as well on a 40MHz channel, making 30MHz actually work
>> better.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Josh Luthman <[email protected]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Ubnt and epmp have gig ports.
>>
>> Josh Luthman
>> Office: 937-552-2340
>> Direct: 937-552-2343
>> 1100 Wayne St
>> Suite 1337
>> Troy, OH 45373
>>  On Jun 8, 2015 11:20 AM, "Josh Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know how epmp does it.
>>
>> For UBNT, a 30mhz channel is just a "fat" 20mhz channel in the atheros
>> chip. Single operation. For  a 40mhz channel, it's really two 20s, meaning
>> radio operations are ran twice. Loss in efficiency, also marred by the lack
>> of gigabit port.
>> On Jun 8, 2015 7:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>  I've never seeing much difference in performance on the ubnt M series
>> between 30mhz and 40mhz channels, so yes, I would say that is true... but
>> I'm not sure how much applies to ePMP - they do have a much a faster
>> processor and on a software level they are very different.
>>
>>  So far, I have been running all of our ePMP APs on 20mhz channels and
>> PTP links on 40mhz or 20mhz, depending on how much capacity they need. I
>> haven't really seen much need to go down to 10mhz channels with ePMP.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Shayne Lebrun <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I seem to recall that with the M series, at least, a 30 mhz channel works
>> 'better' than a 40 because the 40 is really two 20 mhz channels bonded
>> together, where a 30 mhz channel is a 30 mhz channel.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rory Conaway
>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:32 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> I'm not that familiar with the ePMP's yet but I can tell you some things
>> that we saw with Ubiquiti.  One is that channel width does not scale with
>> bandwidth that that Atheros chipset.  For example, 40MHz channels rarely
>> hit their theoretical maximum due to a variety of factors, noise, lower
>> s/n, processor limitations, etc...  Second, 20MHz channels seem to be the
>> sweet spot but even with GPS sync, you have to deal with reflections.
>> Third, 10MHz channels have more overhead as a percentage of total capacity
>> and don't handle a lot of users well (above 40 for example with the older
>> 400MHz chipsets. I'm starting to deploy XW radios with the 520MHz
>> processors but everything is 20MHz now so I don't have a comparison).  We
>> did see peaks of 32Mbps with some customers on 10MHz channels but that's
>> non-peak times.  In peak times, we were seeing 8Mbps when more users were
>> online.
>>
>> Rory
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Craig House
>> Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2015 5:20 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>>  Subject: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> We have deployed 6 towers to begin our new EPMP network and 4 of those
>> towers have a full cluster of 2.4 90 degree EPMP sectors.  They are
>> configured with ACS turned off now because in several cases they all ended
>> up on the same or very close to the same channel.  I have Front back
>> designations and non overlapping channels set up on all towers.  I have
>> tried 40 mhz 20 mhz and now 10mhz channels and while the customer stability
>> has gotten better the more I play with settings I have kind of hit a point
>> I dont know what else to try.  I have some that the uplink quality will
>> vary wildly from 100% to 0%.  Most have gotten better since I went to a
>> 10mhz channel.  Most of the customers get 12MB -30mb down in the wireless
>> link test but the uplinks are as bad as .17.   What is the cause of this
>> poor uplink quality?  Is it interfernece?  My one 5ghz AP does not have
>> this problem but even with noise many of these customers have -50 signals
>> and oddly enough the ones with the great signals seem to be the ones that
>> have the poorest link tests on the up link side.  I also have customes with
>> -65 or -72 signals that get 5MB up on the same sectors?  Im scratching my
>> head a bit on what the fix is for this?  Should I leave ACS on and change
>> everything to 10mhz channels?  Will a full cluster with ACS on work all on
>> the same channel?
>> I'm used to FSK where you pick your channel and any channels that are
>> adjacent will cause problems with connected SM's.  So am I just applying
>> old knowledge to a technology that it doesn't apply to?
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Reply via email to