One of the things I always use as an analogy for bandwidth are cars.

Will a $500 junker car work for you? If so then it’s going to be what you need.
 Is the ride in that car always smooth? Could be or might not be.  Depends on
where you are going. Some roads are better than others.

Now, do you want something that might get you there faster, or have a smoother
ride? or maybe you want a nice luxury car to haul your important clients around
in?  Do you want more than one car? Sure you do.  It’s called redundancy.  Do
you need two luxury cars? maybe.  Do you need two beaters? maybe.  Who says
what luxury is? Thats marketing speak.  Now, can you get from San Jose
California to 350 Cermak in Chicago 10 ms faster over Level3 than Cogent?
Maybe.  Is that important to you?

Notice I did not mention any name brands in this? I have clients we have both
Hurricane and Cogent and it works great for them.  Others not so well.  Does
this mean Cogent is better than Level3?  We could show metrics, all kinds of
things to “prove” who is better than others.  Much of it depends on what
criteria you want to use.

The biggest things from a technical standpoint to look for in bandwidth
providers are:

1.How many other networks are they peered with?
2.Where are they peered with these networks at?  If you have to take long haul
3 states away to hit ProviderA’s POP but only a trip across the state to hit a
major carrier hotel with ProviderB r, then your experience might be better with
B.
3.HGow oversubscribed is their network in your area.  It’s just like your
networks.  Certain POPs are busier than others. If they have bottlenecks on
your local POP that will taint your experience.  Seen this happen on every
major carrier.

It can all quickly become a Ford Vs Chevy or Apple Vs Windows debate very
quickly.  We all know someone who has had a bad experience with
Ford/Chevy/Dodge/whomever and will never buy another.  But there is a reason
they are still in business.  Those work for someone.

The key is to make yourself as nimble as possible.  The easiest way is, like
this thread started out, to get transport back to a “carrier hotel”.  Once
there you can shop around.   Your next step is to have a redundant path to that
data center or a redundant path to a different data center.  Once you do that
you can graduate to connections between the data centers. So you end up with
rings of connectivity to those data centers with the ability to change IP
providers much easier.  You can also keep track of metrics a little better.  My
router, at the data center, gets 80ms pings within your network. You can’t
blame the transport then.

Lots of advantages.

Justin

---