or buy from hosting providers. You're more likely to get a better quality
network buying from a hosting provider than you could ever cost justify.

http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Faisal Imtiaz" <fai...@snappytelecom.net>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2015 10:20:35 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Anyone heard of GTT

hmmm, yes and no, sort of... a lot of it depends upon the perspective one is
looking at...and of course there are a number of factors that go into the
equation..

Let's take a look at a Tier 1 providers, they don't pay anyone for IP Transit,
but they sell IP transit.. so how do they price it ?
... Something along the lines of cost of operating the network + ROI + Profit +
some fudge factor = pricing for IP transit.

Now let's take a look at Tier 2 providers, they are paying someone for IP
Transit, and do a lot of peering (hopefully).... In this case ,the are pricing
IP Transit competitively lower than Tier 1 folks and then doing a lot of
peering to reduce their expense with Tier 1... so their cost of IP transit
formula is something along the lines of...
cost of operating the network + ROI + Profit + Some fudge factor + cost of IP
transit = pricing for IP transit...

Now let's take a look at Tier 3 or some of us who are operating Last Mile
networks....
We have been conditioned to think of IP always as IP transit.....only recently
we started seeing benefits of settlement free peering.... but let's put this
aside for a min....
Most of us (access networks) buy an over commit of IP transit ..... so now here
is a big question, What is the COST of Excess un-used commit that is not used
in that month... !
Just like an empty hotel room, and un-occupied airline seat, etc etc == $0 ,
because we tend to expense our costs over the existing sources of revenue...

When one starts to think of it in this manner, the equation changes...e.g. if
we have excess commit, one can actually sell IP transit for lower cost than
what they are paying for, and have it drop to the bottom line. And if you want
to go a bit deeper into this... sell cheap bandwidth to hosting providers,
their ratios are opposite to ours, thus even a greater leverage....

So bringing this back to a full circle.... when we say the race to the bottom,
and what is the bottom ? well based on above formulas it will be as follows:=
Cost of operating the network + ROI = pricing for IP transit... the other two
factors disappear....and now you have pricing based on network operational
efficiency...
(Even today, in many cases, (e.g data center or POP) the cost of selling, to a
customer, 10meg, 100meg or 200meg could be the same...)

:)

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street