This discussion is one of the things that worries me greatly with respect to
the FCC and the Open Internet rules.

What is uptime?   It’s not like there is a simple definition.   I can’t recall
the last complete outage on our system that took every customer down, yet at
any given time I know for a fact that 0.4% of the customers are down.   Why?
Who knows - turned off for vacation, weed whacker took out the cable, power
issues, etc.   Am I supposed to count those?    Does one DNS server being down
count even though there are 4 of them?   If your OS is too stupid to switch DNS
servers (yes Windows, I’m referring to you) when one isn’t responding and you
can’t get to web pages then the Internet is down for that customer - yet as far
as the network is concerned it’s up.

Mark

Mark