Excellent point about the effect of delay on throughput. I had forgotten about that before I ranted about licenses. Sometimes I need a leash I think.

On 8/10/2015 11:00 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
Maybe the notable thing about this announcement is that the ranging mechanism went all the way to whatever air delay 245 km corresponds to. You’d think it would exceed max distance. And that brings up the impact of delay on throughput. You would probably have to run a path calc in Link Planner to account for this. I know that even a few miles starts to eat into throughput on PTP300/500/600 because of the time waiting for bits to fly through the air before switching TDD direction. That is basically dead time, with neither side transmitting. Which makes you wonder what a FDD system could do at the same distance and S/N. Or I believe airFiber TDD has a method where instead of waiting for your bits to fly through the air and reach me before I transmit back to you, I do the opposite, and transmit WHILE the bits are flying through the air. Actually, I don’t really understand how this works. If someone knows of a whitepaper on it, point me to it. But if my understanding of it is anything close to correct, it should work as well or better on long paths because the bits spend a lot of time in flight.
*From:* Lewis Bergman <mailto:lewis.berg...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Monday, August 10, 2015 9:39 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] PTP 650 Sets New Wireless Broadband Link Record of 245km Cambiums issue, I think, is that they are playing two different markets and can't balance the two. Public Safety will pay those kind of ridiculous license fee structures while I don't think anyone who needs most or all of a link from the beginning will. Maybe they looked at their financials and figured they would make up the lost revenue from WISPS and carriers with that Public Safety segment. Not sure about the -76 and throughput. To lazy to do the math to figure what QAM that should be. I should restate that....I am to lazy to learn how to do the math to determine what the QAM should be at -76. On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Adam Moffett <dmmoff...@gmail.com <mailto:dmmoff...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    seriously though, I argued to death with Cambium that the bit
    stuffing license was complete crap.  It's also not represented
    accurately in their literature.  IE 100mbps license is not license
    for 100mbps, it's a license for a certain fraction of the over the
    air rate and IMO it should be labeled and sold as such.