From: Chuck McCown
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:08 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] voip inadequacies

I am compiling a list of sip/voip issues I have run into over the years.  I am
going to get beaten up by some bureaucrats tomorrow morning and I want to have
a list to defuse them before the oral part of the proceedings start.

I am going to say that ATA/SIP/VOIP is not suitable for the following:

Fax Machines (don’t even get me started on this, tried to do a doctor’s office
and pharmacy once....)

TDD  The teminal that deaf people use.  Does anyone know if a TDD will work on
a garden variety ATA?  I don’t have one I can test with.

Dial up modems....

Fire Alarm control panels (the monitoring companies refuse to even hook it up
if you tell them it is VOIP).
Burglar Alarms .... ditto

I wonder about heart monitors that you wear and have the results phoned in.

Dial phones.  I have never tried to use a pulse dial phone on an ATA/SIP unit.
I wonder if it would work.

Any others?